Thursday, June 24, 2010

Low Price GMI PetShield Offset 4-Bar Tubular Travel Barrier


I really liked the concept of this gate for my subaru impreza hatchback, especially because our gigantic CoonHound is an excited nut in the car, but alone, it's really not designed well and does not perform as described. I guess certain cars will work better than others, but the ability for this to really have a solid tension mount is lacking. At a bare minimum, there should have been some sort of lever tension system, similar to tension mounted garage bike racks, that allows increased and stabilized pressure.

Unfortunately, even after I did get it tight, the dog was able to push it out of the way with extreme ease and cause more chaos than before. The "pad" at the top of the unit is made with a slick plastic/rubber, so its gripping ability is rather limited, and it started to damage my ceiling. Had they made it out of silicone, or lined the surface with silicon, it'd probably work much better.

Also, even in my small car, this does not close the gab between the seats enough for a dog that insists on having his head over my shoulder. He just used this as a brace, and ultimately would push it out of the way over time.

My solution: I bought two medium sized dog collars with clips that I was able to loop around the vertical outer rods on the barrier, and the headrest posts on both front seat head rests. This allowed me to drop the top pad down so that it doesn't even touch the ceiling and damage anything. Then, I attached a crossbar that extends horizontally across the unit and behind each head rest. This closed up the gap and the thing works great now. With these modifications, it's a great unit, but as it comes, it's really, really lacking. I can't recommend this product unless you're willing to find a solution that works for your car after you purchase it.Get more detail about GMI PetShield Offset 4-Bar Tubular Travel Barrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment